Simple Kale Salad
Kale has received lots of press over the past few years. It is widely known as a superfood because it is dense with nutrients. According to The World's Healthiest Foods, here are all the nutrients in just one cup of kale: vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese, copper, vitamin B6, fiber, calcium, potassium, iron, vitamin E, vitamin B2, magnesium, vitamin B1, protein, phosphorus, omega-3 fats, vitamin B3, folate.
This is a great dish when you need a lighter meal, but best not to have daily or too frequently. Particularly in the winter. The pepper flakes and lemon stimulate digestion.
Recipe adapted from Dr. Weil's Kale Salad.
Dosha Considerations - Good for kaphas in moderation. Reduce for pittas and avoid pepper flakes. Avoid for vatas.
Serving Size: 2
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 8 large leaves of kale
- Lemon juice, half of large or full small
- Olive oil, equal amount to lemon juice
- Salt + pepper
- Hot red pepper flakes
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, pinch of salt, pinch of pepper, and a generous pinch of hot red pepper flakes in small bowl or cup.
- Chop kale into small pieces and place in large serving bowl.
- Pour dressing over kale and toss well.
- Let kale sit for at least 15 minutes then toss again before serving.