When you find yourself or your loved ones under the weather there are many natural remedies at your fingertips that boost immunity. Below are six tips to support mind, body and spirit when the common cold gets you down.
1. Sleep and Rest - This is the most important tip to get over a cold. When we rest, our body rejuvenates itself. Rejuvenation is when the body repairs and becomes whole again. Be sure to get in bed as early as possible. Aim to be asleep by 10p at the latest. However, if you can get into bed by 8p or 9p that is even better! It is said that every hour of sleep before midnight is worth double that after midnight.
2. Warm, Soothing Bath with Epsom Salt + Essential Oils - Nothing feels better than a bath when sick! Let the warm water soothe your achy body, and relax your mind with essential oils. Here are two places to find high quality essential oils: Floracopeia and Mountain Rose Herbs.
1 - 1 1/2 cups of Epsom Salt
Essential Oils Of Choice - (I used 10 drops of eucalyptus, 5 sweet orange and 5 clove bud)
Plug bath, and begin running warm bath water. Place epsom salt near the drain and continue filling bath up. Add in essential oils of choice. Once full, hop in and soak away!
3. Eucalyptus Steam - This is a safe and natural way to open sinuses. Boil 1 cup of hot water on the stove top. Remove from stove and place somewhere flat where you can lean over safely. Add 8 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. Either cover head with a cloth or cover pot with cloth, lean over pot and inhale.
4. Hot Liquids - Stay warm with hot liquids. Sip on herbal tea or even plain hot water. The warmth aids digestion. Digestion is weakened when sick, so be mindful to feed your body warm, well-cooked and nourishing foods! More on that below. :)
5. Simple Foods - Kitchari is a staple in Ayurveda. It is a blend of easy-to-digest mung beans, white basmati rice, spices and ghee. Kitchari was created to nourish the young, elderly, and the sick. Here is a lovely recipe. Another option is simple well-cooked rice or lentil dish. Add in some savory spices such as cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper.
6. The Sun! - Even a very minute amount of sun can revitalize the body. The sun exudes prana or life energy. It also acts as a mood booster and lifts the spirit when colds can bring us down.