Vegetable Lentil Soup
Soup is by far one of my favorite dishes to make. It is simple and delicious. You can easily substitute with vegetables that you have on hand.
Dosha Considerations -
Good for vata - can sub mung beans or red lentils for regular lentils.
Pitta can skip onion and reduce or skip ginger. Pitta can also sub garbanzo beans for lentils.
Kapha types can add dash of cayenne and reduce ghee. Remove potatoes.
- 2 tbsps ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 zucchini squash, diced
- 6 cups purified water
- 1/2 c lentils
- Using a large pot, place on stove on medium low heat. Add ghee and melt. Add onions and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add in ginger, cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper. Let simmer for a few more minutes.
- Add in carrots, celery, potatoes and squash. Stir to coat ghee, spices and vegetables.
- Pour in water and lentils.
- Turn heat to medium until boiling then turn down to low. Simmer soup for 45 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Note: You can also make rice, and a scoop before ladling soup into bowls for a more filling meal.